Thursday, January 13, 2011

New Year, New Career

I never thought it would happen but it did. I am officially a staff writer for The News-Herald in Willoughby. It's something I dreamed about my whole life, to be a "real" writer. What does that mean though? Do you have to be a staff writer to be a "real" writer. No, I don't think so. I think it only helps with your credentials. To be a real writer is to be passionate and not give up the dream. Writing for yourself, instead of other people. I have been reading a lot of Stephen King lately and he was a teacher before he became successful, but he didn't give up writing fiction. It was a passion for him as a boy and he kept going. He didn't get the big wins starting out, he was published in a few magazines and was just happy to receive any pay. I felt the same way I was freelancing. I did it because I was happy just to be writing. I wasn't making a living at the small beat I worked but knowing I was just doing something that I dreamed about since I learned to write and read was rewarding. I am still not giving up though, I have a passion for the news, but also have a passion for writing fiction. I submitted my first short story to a contest late last month and plan to do more this year with that. My career is not finished, but I feel only really begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment